Coronavirus or COVID-19 is the current pandemic the whole globe is facing right now. With approx. 1 million confirmed cases worldwide, there are many facts as well as fake news spreading through the internet, WhatsApp, etc. Here, we are going to unleash the truth behind one such question: can coronavirus spread through food?
Researchers are still trying to find out the answer to this question and hence, there is no such evidence that proves its transmission through food.
But it is found that the virus is stable at low and freezing temperatures for a certain period, therefore, good hygiene and some precautions can save oneself from the transmission.
Benjamin Chapman, A professor, and food safety specialist at North Carolina State University claimed that” We really don’t have any evidence that food or food packaging is a source for getting sick from COVID-19”.
As far we know, the disease is spread through virus particles from one person to another when someone sneezes or coughs, or can be transmitted when an infected person touches a surface, and an uninfected person comes in contact with the surface and then touches his nose, or eyes or mouth.
No evidence has been found yet does not mean that there are no chances. If an infected person visits a grocery shop and picks up some stuff, then it very likely to be caught by a person who is not infected. But that doesn’t mean that you should stop grocery shopping. Only a few preventive measures have to be followed.
- Always rinse the fruits and vegetables before cooking.
- Try to consume as much hot food and fluid as you can.
- Always rinse the packets and bags that are brought from outside before entering the house.
- Restaurant foods are also safe but always rinse the food packet before consuming.
- Wash your hands after touching any item brought from outside.
- Never touch your eyes, face or mouth when you are outside without sanitizing them.